Thursday, January 24, 2013

Increase my qi?

I had acupuncture today.  I know some people have mixed feelings about it, but I just love it.  It has helped me with asthma, gastro/digestive issues, and stress relief. I am going now for pain relief, namely that damn plantar fasciitis that won't seem to go away.  In both feet.

Today I went for the 2nd time to a different practice/practitioner.  My insurance covers them, so that's a bonus.  I also had the most stressful days today at work.  I can't even tell you why it was more stressful than most days.  I realized afterward that I had an anxiety attack and then the rest of the day I was feeling tense and on the verge of tears.

I went home and changed my clothes and went to acupuncture.  Roye, my practitioner, could tell that my qi was low, especially compared to last week.  As she started to needle me I felt an overwhelming sense of energy surging through me.  And then the emotions, and tears, released.  It felt never ending but was probably only about 5 minutes.   She kept her hands on me and talked me through some deep breathing.  The rest of the acupuncture session proceeded and I walked out with a little less pain and hopefully increased qi.

It occurred to me that I need to really start some kind of something to help me manage stress and just for me.  I keep saying I am going to start meditating and I begin for a few days.  It always fizzles out.  I think it is time again to incorporate meditation into my life. I have been doing a little yoga, but I think I need to do both...regular yoga and meditation.

I am open to hearing from you about your yoga and meditation practice.  Or maybe your acupuncture experience?  How do you handle stress?  Talk to me...what works for you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never tried acupuncture because I hate needles so much but after what you've written here, I reckon it would be good for me.

CJ x

VanBeads said...

I think you know how I feel about acupuncture - I love it. I go at least twice a month, and without it, I might have ended up having surgery two years ago.

As for handling stress, well, I'm not so sure I'm the right person to ask right now! Ha! That said, you know that I just got my referral to a new psychiatrist who will be helping me with my anxiety disorder in the coming weeks... We should talk.

Unknown said...

CJ, I really believe in alternative therapies. If you are not keen on needles, maybe you could start with acupressure? Thanks for reading. :)

Unknown said...

Jen, we should definitely talk!