Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sleep %&#@ issues

I was thrilled! Last night Lilly slept from 8pm - 6am. Straight...no waking! It was a delight to have uninterrupted sleep. I had planned on sleeping until 7, so 6 was a little early, especially since I was up late cleaning, doing homework and then reading a bit, but that was okay. Now tonight...she woke up at 1:30. I nursed her in her room, tried to put her into the crib and she screamed. I finally brought her into my bed with me. Around 3 she started fussing again. Mostly to let my husband sleep I took her out and brought her back into her room. I tried the crib again - screamed. I took her out and rocked with her in the rocker. Wide awake. We go downstairs and lay together on the couch. She starts talking to the cats. "hi cat" while waving. Eventually I gave up and put Blue's Clues on and we are now watching Sesame Street. So, considering I went to sleep about 12:15, I have gotten a total of 2 hours sleep.

What the heck? This is not the first time this has happened. In fact, it is a pattern. Randomly she will sleep through the night and the next night, maybe 2, is hell. It is bad enough now. How will I handle this if/when I start a full time job in 2 months???

edited to add: She had Motrin right before bed for teething so I do not think that is it.

2 comments:

VanBeads said...

Oh, man, Melanie, we are having the exact same problems lately, except that Colden never sleeps through the night! Lately, we've been trying to break the nursing-through-the-entire-night thing, and it's been horrible. Colden wakes up, and as soon as I go to put him back in his crib, he screams. He will actually wake up out of a sound sleep, look around, and scream until one of us (usually me) goes in to get him. And I'm really getting tired of people telling me that I just have to let him scream himself back to sleep. Ain't gonna happen.

Unknown said...

uh, I know. We had another rough night. I ended up sleeping on the floor of her room with her. Crazy! I think for Lilly some of it is separation anxiety. God help me when I start back to work!