Sunday, February 19, 2012

Lent is around the corner

Lent starts this coming Wednesday.  Most of my Catholic friends grew up giving something up for Lent.  It was often something that could, in a way, be easily controlled by our parents...no ice cream, sweets, TV.  As I matured, I learned about picking something to give up that had meaning of some sort, something a little challenging.  I also learned, probably because I went to Catholic school, about doing something extra.

Fast forward to the present time and I have been contemplating what I will do for Lent this year.  I came across an article on Busted Halo that presents the why and how to decide what to do for Lent eloquently.  I know that I want this Lent to be one of spiritual growth for me.  Maybe I will go to bed earlier so that I can wake up earlier to have dedicated praying time every morning.  Maybe I will give up something like the cream in my coffee.  I really LOVE my coffee with cream in it, so every time I drink it without it, I will remember what I am doing and why.  It is definitely something for me to think about and pray about in the next few days.

What are you going to do for Lent?

No comments: