Wednesday, September 19, 2012

One Lovely Blog Award

I apologize friends, for not posting recently.  Life has been a bit hectic, what with the beginning of school and some other life-happenings.  I miss writing, however, so I am going to try to be a bit more organized so that I can blog more often.  I follow a lot of blogs and I have continued to read them daily.

Imagine my very pleasant surprise when my friend from middle school, Jen mentioned me in her blog.  Jen writes a blog about her beading and art, life in the Adirondacks, and raising her gorgeous little boy.  I love reading it and adore her jewelry!  She was nominated by one of her bead artist peers for the One Lovely Blog Award.  She had to do a few things in return, including nominate other bloggers she admires.  I am not a bead blog, but she gave me a nomination anyway!  Thanks Jen!  This is what she said:

12. The Mommy Chronicles. Now, I know that this last one isn't a beading blog, but it's a blog by a friend of mine that I've known since middle school, and I love it. Melanie is a thoughtful parent trying to raise a thoughtful little girl. And that's it! Melanie lives her life with compassion, and I greatly admire her for this. It's a good blog.

This thrilled me because this is one of the ultimate goals in my life: to live my life with compassion and to teach my daughter to do the same.  Again, I am honored and humbled that my blog is even being read by others.


There are some rules behind this award.  In return for the award, I am asked to do the following:
1. Thank the nominator and link back to them in the post.
2. Share 7 random facts about myself.
3. Nominate 15 (or so) bloggers that I admire.
4. Contact them to let them know that they've been nominated.

Here we go!

7 Random Facts

1. I was 5'10" in 6th grade.  This was not a fun thing.  I was teased and bullied mercilessly.  My self-esteem is still recovering and I work very hard at it.

2. I was a philosophy major in college, with an interest in epistemology, the study of knowledge.  hmmm...  Is it really that surprising that I eventually became a teacher?

3.  I love to bake and cook.  Most people know this, but it really became an integral part of my life this past summer when I worked at a summer camp teaching cooking to the children.

4. I have a pit bull we adopted from our local no-kill shelter.  Her name is Blue and she is the newest love of my life.

5. I am good at home repairs.  My husband probably doesn't like to admit it, but I am really good at (not to mention enjoy) home repairs.  Replacing chains in the toilet, building IKEA book shelves, you name it.

6.  There is an artist inside me itching to get out.  I have dabbled in many forms of art, including water color.  Mostly I like crafty arts like quilting and cross stitch.

7.  I abhor mushrooms.  Seriously, I passionately hate mushrooms.  And DO NOT try to sneak one in.  I'll know.

My Nominees
1. Lisa Loves Life Lessons  I was in college with Lisa (taking philosophy classes together!) many moons ago.  Her blog is genuine and inspiring and she blogs daily.

2. Joy Yagid Photography  Joy photographed my wedding and has also done portraits of my daughter.  She has been participating in the 366 Days of Pix and I look forward to her pictures every evening.

3. Movin' Right Along  sigh...What do you say about a blog written by a mom of 2 daughters fighting cancer?  It is honest and funny and makes me cry.  Sometimes out loud.  Oh, and her mom taught me to quilt.  Happy coincidences abound.

4.  Baker's B.Y.O.D. --Bring your Device, Dog and Deconstruction of Literature  Kate is a high school teacher and a fellow MSU alum.  We were in the Honors program together, which will not surprise you when you read her blog.  She is full of great ideas that make me wish I worked in her district.  It is very education-specific, but I wanted to show her some blog love.

5. Momastery Glennon is an amazing blogger who really is not a small fish in the blogging pond anymore.  She is the real deal but I had to nominate her anyway.  Her blog is real and raw and lovely.  She does not hide.  She helps others.  I wish she was a friend who lived down the street, so that I could have a cup of coffee with her.

I only have 5 nominees for now.  I may have more later, but it is encroaching upon the midnight hour.  I have been averaging 5 1/2 hours of sleep a night.  I need more.

Thank you to whomever created this award.  It has made me really think and consider why I read other blogs and what they bring to my life.  They all bring something different and I appreciate all of it.

2 comments:

Kate Baker said...

Thanks Mel for showing some blog love!!!

And congrats on the nomination!
(Does this now mean the others you listed are nominated too?)

I love following your posts and I miss our Honors days!

Big Hugs!!!!!
-Kate

Unknown said...

It was my pleasure Kate! I nominated the other ones listed. I was not exactly sure how it worked, but I just nominated blogs I like to read because they inspire me in some way.

I have some cousins in college and when I see their pictures and posts it brings me right back to those Honors days. :)