Monday, July 5, 2010

My first homemade pie

Look at how plump those berries are!
My mom reminded me that I used to help her all the time, but this was my first completely from scratch pie.  Well, I did have a little help from Lilly!  I was going to make it for our bbq on Saturday but I did not want to rush myself and we were short on time as it was.  I was prompted to make this pie because of the gorgeous blueberry harvest this year.  NJ is the blueberry capital of the world, or if it is not, it seems that way!  Here is an interesting article recently published about NJ blueberries.  This year's blueberries are plump, sweet and firm.  I think between the three of us we are going through a pint a day.  This week at our local grocery store they were 4 pints for  $5 making it an even sweeter deal!


Isn't it pretty?
I decided to use Martha Stewart's recipe from the Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook.  The crust proved to be easier than I expected.  There were a few little things that happened this time with the rolling out that I can learn from for next time.  And the filling, well that was just as easy as...pie!  I even used a star cookie cutter for that 4th of July decorative touch.  The pie itself was scrumptious!  But seriously, the blueberries were the real stars and I could just taste how delicious they were with every bite.  The crust was flaky and light and did not compete with the filling.  Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and served still warm....it was heaven!





1 comment: