Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mommy confession #578

Confession:  My daughter colored on the wall after her nap one day and I left it there.  I was quite adamant that it was not to happen again.  But I could not bring myself to wash off her mural.  I walked in and she said, "Mommy, I made a rainbow and my name."  This was about 6 months ago.  Maybe 3 months later she did add to it.  And I left that, too.  She loves sleeping under her pictures.  I love seeing them.


So what prompted this confession?  A friend of mine posted pictures of toddler destruction today that included powder covering the entire room.  It reminded me of all the little moments, that seemed like big moments at the time, when I would walk into: ointment on the stuffed piggy, tissues torn into little pieces, an entire box of wipes emptied, powder sprinkled everywhere and yes, murals on the wall.  And truthfully, those moments are some of my most favorite memories of Lilly.  I hope that I can continue to find the joy in those moments.  I mean, who can really resist a diaper ointment covered piggy bum?

Mural #2


Original mural

3 comments:

GinaC84 said...

I remember the piggy with the diaper ointment! But you're right; those crazy moments make for the best memories. I'm sure my Mom told you about me making myself Cinderella gloves out of the cream from a pack of Suzy Q snack cakes she gave me to eat while I was watching the movie :)

I also think it's nice that you're leaving Lilly's mural up. I know she will appreciate that.

Xoxos to you and the whole family!
-Gina

Vinnie Cappiello said...

I have to admit, at first I was not happy about the wall art. But in all honesty, I really love it. She is very proud of her creations, and will gladly explain to you what they are.

You are spot on about this being one of those things we can never replace. As Lilly gets older, little things like her wall art will cease to exist. Sure, they will be replaced by other things, but not like the innocent drawings she does on her wall, or the diaper cream on piggy.

Gina, I had no idea you made Cinderella gloves from Suzy Q's. I guess I missed that one somehow.

Great blog entry on this subject Melanie. Really makes me remember to cherish these special moments in Lilly's life. Keep up the great blog. May I suggest a new entry for your "Girls Can Grill" blog please??

Julie said...

Awww I love this. :) And as the very next day after The Powder Incident, we dealt with The Lotion Incident, I can totally relate. Their little mishaps are somehow so heartwarming.