Friday, April 10, 2009

Cesarean Awareness Month

April is Cesarean Awareness Month.  I am very, very grateful for cesareans because otherwise Lilly might not be with us now.  However, it is major abdominal surgery and should not be approached lightly.  I had approached Lilly's birth planning on using as little medical intervention as possible.  We took classes with a wonderful doula who works out of Shakti Ma Yoga Studio.  We ended up needing almost every medical intervention!  Again, I am grateful it was there for me and for my baby.  My midwife was amazing and calm.  My surgeon was respectful and sweet.  (and amazing...I barely have a scar!)  I hope that if we are blessed with more children that I will be able to VBAC, and do so without fear.  I also hope that one day I will be able to write about my experience.  For now, I will bring awareness to people.  Peace and love...Melanie

1 comment:

VanBeads said...

How very true! We were also planning a natural birth with as little intervention as possible, but with an 11+ lb baby and me being only 5'3" (and other factors), my physician decided that it was the best route. My doula reminded us that if it weren't for c-section, myself and my baby boy would most likely have just been statistics. It should not be used routinely or as a convenient way to give birth though, I am totally with you on that!