Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Febrile Seizures

My daughter Lilly had her 1st febrile seizure in August 2009.  It was scary, terrifying really.  We found out she had a urinary tract infection and then from there we found out she has some kidney reflux.  She did not have another seizure until about 8 weeks ago.

She was in school and I received the phone call first from Vinnie and then seconds later from the daycare that Lilly was having a seizure and was being brought via ambulance to the ER.  Receiving that phone call might have been the worst phone call I received to date.  Again we thought she had a UTI but the long term culture proved to be negative.  She was already being treated with antibiotics so she finished them.  Unfortunately by the time the culture came back it was too late to find what the true infection was.

Yesterday she woke up with a fever.  She was going to my mom's so I went to work and made sure she was motrin'd up.  My mom gave her the motrin at the next dosing time and about 30 minutes later she had a  seizure.  I took her to the pediatrician later that day.  She had a red throat but the strep test was negative.  Culture was sent out.  I got a urine sample from her this morning and brought it in to the doctor.  They are sending that out for a culture.  I guess there were some irregularities with it.  I am not exactly sure what that means, but it was very concentrated.  So at this point it is a waiting game to find out the source of an infection.  Of course it could just be viral....

Dr. Cotler also said it was time to see a neurologist.  When I called to make an appointment, the receptionist got us in for next Monday.  Her urgency in getting us in alarmed me.  It is very worrying that Lilly has these seizures and I want to make sure they are just febrile and not a seizure disorder.

So prayers and positive thoughts our way would be much appreciated friends!  And if anyone has any experience with multiple febrile seizures (not just a one-off) please share!

3 comments:

VanBeads said...

Mel, I am so sorry to see this about Lilly!!!! I certainly hope that it just turns out to be nothing, and maybe the reason that the neurologist got you in straight away was because the appointment was for a toddler. Maybe they give priority to pediatric cases? At any rate, please keep us posted, and I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts!

One Savvy Mom! said...

Hi Melanie,
I am so sorry to hear that your daughter isn't feeling well, you will be in my prayer's.....that everything turns out ok! :-)
I was stopping by to tell you that you won the SodaStream Giveaway on my blog! You have won a Pure SodaStream Pure Machine & a Prize pack of mixes :-) Please let me know when you get a chance where you would like it sent at savvycouponmommy@gmail.com
Sorry I am posting this here - I couldn't find an email

Unknown said...

Jen - Thanks for your concern. I will definitely blog about the outcome and *may* post something on facebook. xo

One Savvy Mom! - i am sooo excited for this! And my birthday is coming up and hubby's is tomorrow. I emailed you!