Sunday, September 25, 2011

the podiatrist is my friend

**sigh** As many of you know, I have been really trying to live a healthier lifestyle.  This includes eating more fruits and veggies, sleeping more, relaxing as needed and exercising.  I was doing so well with the exercising and running and I was excited to maybe run a 5k this fall.  But then I started to feel pain in my ankle so I rested it for a bit.  Last Monday I went for a nice walk in between work and back to school night, since I was staying in Hoboken with nothing else to do.  I kept it easy.  I ran for 2 minutes but realized I was not ready to run again, especially on the hard sidewalks.  My ankle felt fine.  All week it felt fine.  I was wearing heels and it felt fine.  On Thursday it suddenly hurt.  A lot.  By Friday afternoon I was thinking that maybe I had to go to the ER it felt that bad.  I was able to get an appointment with a podiatrist for Saturday morning.

Here is the verdict:  chronic sprain in my right ankle, plantar fasciitis and heel spurs in both feet.  No "pounding" activity for me for awhile.  Special braces to wear at night to help the plantar fasciitis, one to wear while on my feet for the sprain.  The usual anti-inflammatory meds and a cream are also added.  The doctor was very thorough and watched the way I was walking and standing.  He thinks that they way I walk contributed to both things so he ordered orthotics to help with that.

I am so disappointed with this situation.  He suggested swimming or using a stationary bike, but I do not have the money to join a gym to do those activities right now.  Maybe in a few months I will be able to join someplace with a pool.  I think the biggest part of the disappointment is that the running/walking was always about and for me, and only me.  Maybe now that my hand is feeling better I can do yoga again.  I forgot to mention last week that they finally removed that 1 inch stitch that was still in my hand.  Since it was removed it has improved 100%!

I think what I need to do is concentrate on what I can do and not what I cannot.  I can do abs, strengthening exercises, some walking, maybe yoga and watch what I eat.  I can start physical therapy as soon as I am approved.  And I can continue to think healthier.  I'll get to the 5k one day.  As my one friend said, there will be more.

4 comments:

VanBeads said...

Yoga is always a great workout for me - it's gentle, but you can really get your heart going. As for the swimming, find out if there's a pool at a local school - the pool at the high school near me is open to the public three nights a week for $2. Good luck!

stephanie said...

I understand this! When I pushed even though I knew it hurt a week prior I was out for a month. My sister has unexplained swelling in her ankles and had to drop out of her first half that she was so excited for. You are better off resting your feet and then starting again. I love your positive attitude.

Unknown said...

Thanks ladies! Jen, the local hs is CHS...I am pretty sure that I do NOT want to swim in that pool!

Frannie said...

Sorry Mel for all you're going thru...everything usually happens after we finally make a decision to do the 'right' thing...Murphy's Law...But keep up the good attitude! That's key and don't give up!! Yoga is amazing! I should start back up myself...only my gym (which I haven't been to in over a yr) doesn't have classes but I have some tapes at home I can do...Keep strong!