Sunday, September 4, 2011

wah! sidelined for a few days

I had posted on facebook earlier that I had tweaked my ankle doing a dance aerobics thing, thank you Billy Blanks jr.  I felt it as soon as I did and tried to stretch it but that did not make it feel better.  The next day I rested it in terms of exercise.  Today I was totally ready to wake up and get on the road for a nice long walk, even if I could not run.  The ankle felt worse, right in the back in the Achilles tendon.  I went to see my mom, who is not a doctor but plays one on tv.  :)  After a lot of massage and stretching it felt a lot better, but her orders were to rest it for several days.  I kind of already knew I should, but I really did not want to believe it.  I have such a hard time getting into an exercise routine that I hate to have to break it.  I guess maybe it is good to have the first week back to work off to get back into that routine.  Part of what makes me so upset is that I was so careful about not doing too much running too fast or too soon.  It was the aerobics on my off day that did me in!

I just really do not want to lose my momentum and motivation.  Help me friends!!  I am starting to feel a little discouraged here.  Thanks!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No stretching of the achilles tendon, please, my lovely. R.I.C.E. it and return for more foot massage. : ) I love feet, especially yours. You need some TLC right now, honey. Swimming, stationary bike riding are good exercises, even if you use only one leg to kick, one leg to cycle; it keeps your momentum going! Do the old fashioned mat exercises, updated for the year 2011. Roll over your exercise ball. Do NOT lose momentun because of one little delay. Seriously, keep going, using various forms of exercise. Before you know it, you will be back on the run! I am so proud of you, Mel!

GinaC84 said...

Injuries happen and are frustrating. I remember when
I had a variety of aches and pains while training for my half that drove me to tears. I know it's annoying (especially since you're just getting into a routine) but be sure to rest your ankle and stay motivated with exercise that won't require ankle use.

Xoxo,
-Gina