Friday, September 2, 2011

Summer's End

Here we are at the tail end of my summer break and I am facing all the expectations that I promised myself I would not have this year.  In the beginning of the summer I had written about my usual laundry list of expectations for my summer break and had said that this summer I will not have that list.  I promised myself that I would not stress out about not completely de-cluttering and re-organizing my house.  I am happy to say that I did not let myself get too stressed about it all.  In normal summer mode I would be disappointed with what I did not get accomplished this summer.  This summer I am happy with what I did get done around the house.  A lot of it was just the daily cleaning that occurs with a smallish house and a preschooler.  :)  I also worked on my bedroom; and even though it is not completely finished there is a HUGE improvement. (Okay, Vinnie might not agree with the huge part.  lol)

Looking back on what I had written in early July, I initially wished that I had done more craft stuff with Lilly and arranged a few more playdates.  Some people I had reached out to for playdates were not available and that is okay, even if a bit disappointing.  And sometimes the timing just did not work out.  Maybe I wasted a few too many mornings doing nothing.  And then I realized all that we did do!  But we did go on tons of fun playdates and attended our library's summer preschool reading program.  We visited friends and family down the shore and at lakes.  We explored different playgrounds in our area.  I reconnected with many of my girlfriends, attended a great free music festival and traveled to North Carolina.

Personally, I started on the path to a healthier, running me.  Of course this past week has been difficult with the area still recovering from hurricane Irene.  Not to mention my ankle/Achilles tendon is being a bit funky.  But I am committed to continuing this healthier lifestyle once school resumes next week.

I have to admit that today I was starting to feel that ball of anxiety in my belly about not organizing the basement or finishing my bedroom or insert chore.  But I stepped back and took a deep breath and looked at what I did.  And if I took a lot of naps this summer, maybe it was because I needed them.  I reminded myself that I had surgery the 2nd day after school let out and I was also ill in July. And if Lilly is disappointed that I did not play princesses or babies with her every time she asked, I console myself with the knowledge that she would have me play every possible minute.  And dinner does not cook itself!  So in that I learned about the balance of being a SAHM again.  It is not all fun and games.  Chores have to get done, too.

I hope everyone else had a fun summer!  What was your favorite thing you did this summer?  Come on...leave me some comment love!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My favorite thing this summer was probably Alex's 5th birthday party. My mom & dad came from NJ and he had a blast. (BTW, it's so refreshing to read something written with correct spelling once in a while! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Kelly! That is so great that your parents were able to come for Alex's birthday. What a fun visit! And how are our children growing so fast?

VanBeads said...

I know what you mean about not getting things accomplished. It drives Tom absolutely nuts when we don't get things done, but I don't let it bother me too much. I figure, if tomorrow we found out there was a flaming fireball heading towards the Earth, I would not be upset about the pile of laundry sitting on the living room chair for a week. You know what I mean? Anyway, we had a good summer, spent a lot of time outside in the backyard with the gardens and the chickens and made several trips to the Wild Center in Tupper Lake to see the river otters with Colden! You can't beat that!

Unknown said...

I wish I could "like" my readers' comments! Sounds like such a great summer for a 3 year old boy Jen.

Vinnie Cappiello said...

I thought our summer was pretty good. I know I wasn't feeling so hot for a portion of it, but I think we did some fun stuff. Tomahawk Lake, North Carolina, the Beach, playdates, time with Nanny etc. I had lots of fun this summer with you and Lilly!