Wednesday, August 31, 2011

playground parenting

I started out writing a crazy long post (okay, rant) about how other parents do not watch their children at the playground.  And the truth is that many times when I am at the playground with Lilly I see parents chatting to each other on benches, on their phones without ever looking up and, like yesterday, swinging while their baby was in a carriage near by.  The poor little one kept reaching her chubby hands up as mom swung near her.  I kid you not.

My real question though, is why are parents not watching their children?  The playground is a dangerous place!  I know I may seem a little over the top here, but I am a preschool teacher so I kind of know these things.  Children can wander away in the blink of an eye; so-called strangers who look like the guy with the lost puppy or the person helping the kid on the monkey bars can be not as benign as they seem; children can accidentally (or not) hurt other children; they can knock their teeth out on fireman poles (just ask my brother); they can fracture their legs going down slides...should I really go on?

I have seen parents at parks in Chatham, Maplewood, South Orange and Union do this.  It seems to be a universal thing that parents do not parent at the playground.  Now some of these parents may be looking at me as a hover mom, but I really do not think I am.  I keep an eye and stand near to make sure that Lilly is not doing something above her skill level.  If there is nobody her age there I play with her.  If there are children she wants to play with I help her introduce herself.  If a boy does not wait until she is even halfway down the slide before coming slamming into her, I help her tell him to please wait next time.  (grrr....one of many incidents from yesterday) And yes, if you are not doing your job and your child is causing other children to get hurt or pushing in front of the whole line of kids patiently waiting, I will say something.  The first time will be in my nice Mommy voice.  The next will be in my stern, take-no-crap teacher voice.  With a look.  And for goodness sake, or the sake of your child, be a parent at the playground!

p.s. about the slide link, that is about parents going down with their children, but it can also happen with other children doing a "train" down or just not waiting until the other kids are off.

2 comments:

Frannie said...

what did you mean that the mother was 'swinging' while their baby was in a stroller? was the mom on a swing by herself?? and i know what you mean...all the mothers on their cell phones instead of watching their kids who are being obnoxious or even trying to actually spend some quality time with their children since it always seems like the moms on their cell phones are all dressed up and coming from work...so try a little to spend time with them...but i guess that's another story in itself...i do agree but have also been on the phone myself once or twice...but now that luke is 6 and he plays well with others i can be a mom on the bench chatting as long as i'm keeping an eye out for him...and as far as my other 2...well, they outgrew the park a long time ago! wah! thanks mel, frannie

Unknown said...

Yes, she was on a swing and the baby was in a stroller. It was so weird! Believe me, I am not condemning chatting with friends at the park because goodness knows that is sometimes the only time I get with my girlfriends. But we are always aware of where the kids are and what they are doing so that we can step in as needed. Thanks for reading! :)