Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I wish that I could think of something witty and funny to write tonight.  Instead all I can think about is how I lost my temper with my little girl.  She refused to clean up her toys.  I was doing all the right things and saying all the right things and she still would not even pick up one stupid toy.  And then I yelled.  And predictably, she yelled back and then cried and still refused to pick up her toys.  This went on for a few minutes...me yelling, her crying and still not cleaning and all the while I am.  Somehow we both calmed down and she started to clean up her toys with me.  This kind of thing does not happen that often in our house, but I hate when it does.  I feel terrible.  I wish that I could turn back the clocks and make a better choice.  What would I have done?  I would have sat on the couch and not made the popcorn or put the movie on.  It was raining and that was our after nap treat.  I would have sat there calmly and quietly until she realized that we had to clean the toys first.

She told me later, after I apologized, that I need a squishy ball to squeeze instead of yelling.  Oh, the wisdom of a 3 year-old...




No comments: